Friday 5 January 2007

A couple of gems

I hadn't paid Thomas Green a visit for months, but needed a Dr Pepper fix the other day, and found other rare treats...


On any given day, I wouldn't mind a handful of Maltesers, but I'm a total sucker for anything that looks like a new snack on the market (even if that means a minor twist to an old snack or new packaging), so the fact that White Maltesers found its way into my basket was purely mechanical. No complaints, but I doubt it'll take off. The malt ball doesn't taste all that different from the white chocolate coating, so the lack of contrast may disappoint some.

Horlicks was something I grew up with, but apart from Thomas Green's, the only other place I can find it in these parts is at an Asian grocery store. For me, Horlicks isn't merely a wholesome beverage, but something to roll other food in. I don't remember when I hit on the idea, but I used to cut up bananas into bite-sized pieces and roll them in Horlicks. Since the slightest hint of moisture makes Horlicks cake up, you can imagine the monster snowballs I can make with these banana bouchées!

The mince pies were an afterthought. The purchase had nothing to do with fondness, but rather nostalgia for the good old days when Marks and Spencer had an outlet here. Paid for it with a terrible toothache! Aie! Do they have to be packed with so much sugar?

Body Count: 1 - me :)

2 comments:

TNL said...

Cool blog you have here...and a Dr.Pepper sounds good about right now..haven't had one in a while.

Cheers.

Shilpa said...

Hi trs,

Thanks! Do come back from time to time, you might see your creations showcased here under my "Copycat cuisine"! :) They look that good!

S